With world-class ore bodies becoming more difficult to find, there is an increasing recognition that geologists will require new approaches and skills in order to discover new deposits.
This course is designed for geoscientists who want to gain up to date knowledge and skills in economic geology and mineral exploration. It will allow you to study a spectrum of economic geology topics specifically related to the discovery and evaluation of ore deposits.
The course structure is flexible and allows a choice between coursework only or coursework plus a 24-point research project. There is also a wide range of units taught by four insitutions: the University of Western Australia, the University of Tasmania, James Cook University and Curtin University of Technology.
The Master of Ore Deposit Geology consists of 48-points of which can be taken as 8 units of coursework, or 4 units of coursework plus a 4 unit research project. Students must complete a minimum of 12 points of coursework from the University of Western Australia.
Those units listed below are available for students to take as part of the MSc Ore Deposit Geology Degree.
University of Western Australia Units
• MING5501 Applied Structural Geology (2014)
• MING5502 Exploration Targeting (2013)
• MING5503 Ore Deposit Field Excursion (2014)
• MING5504 Advanced Ore Deposits (2013)
• MING5521 Minerals Geoscience Project Part 1 (6 points)*
• MING5522 Minerals Geoscience Project Part 2 (6 points)*
• MING5523 Minerals Geoscience Project Part 3 (6 points)*
• MING5524 Minerals Geoscience Project Part 4 (6 points)*
*Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 must be completed to fulfil the requirements of the unit.
Curtin University of Technology Units:
• ENRL8538 (CU) 10939 Natural Resources Economics 601
• ENRL8541 (CU) 313412 Cost and Capital Investment Estimation 602
• ENRL8542 (CU) 306031 Resource Sector Finance 602
• ENRL8549 (CU) 312811 Mineral Finance and Project Evaluation 601
James Cook University Units:
• ENRL8544 (JCU) EA5024 Business and Financial Management in the Minerals Industry
• ENRL8545 (JCU) EA5027 Advanced Field Training
• ENRL8546 (JCU) EA5028 Advanced Techniques in Mining and Exploration Geology
University of Tasmania Units:
• ENRL8531 (UTAS) KEA703 Volcanology and Mineralisation in Volcanic Terrains
• ENRL8532 (UTAS) KEA701 Ore Deposit Studies and Exploration Models
• ENRL8533 (UTAS) KEA704 Geochemistry, Hydrology and Geochronology
• ENRL8534 (UTAS) KEA706 Ore Deposits of South America (2014)
• ENRL8535 (UTAS) KEA705 Exploration in Brownfields Terrains
• ENRL8529 (UTAS) KEA702 Geometallurgy